Every day hundreds and thousands of dogs are surrendered at animal shelters all over the country.  You can tell someone when they sign that surrender form that their dog may not have much of a chance but I don’t think it really sinks that that surrender paper is often, sometimes more than 90% of the time, a death warrant!

A dear friend of mine told me the following story after a visit to her local shelter yesterday.  She is a rescuer in VA who almost every day drives to at least one shelter to pull as many “death row” dogs as room allows.  She see many sad and horrific things.  Yesterday’s visit showed her some images that she’s seen before but thought sharing them might wake some people up who really don’t know the reality.

While she was there, a woman brought in a dog to surrender.  The ACO handed her the surrender form and the woman asked if there was much of a chance of her dog getting adopted as the ACO told her to make sure she read the surrender form.  This woman was told straight out that there was absolutely no room n the shelter and that her dog would not even making to the holding area, it would be taken directly to the “euth room” to be put down.

The woman didn’t blink an eye, signed the form and handed her dog over. The dog was led off to its death.  After a few minute they noticed the woman still hanging around and asked her.  She actaully had the heartless audacity to tell the ACO that she was waiting to get the poor doomed dog’s collar and leash back!

The woman just signed this dog’s death warrant and didn’t have the heart to feel the tiniest bit of pain, empathy or compassion for it, an older dog who probably spent years with her.  No, she just want the $5 collar and leash back. Was she planning to get a new puppy to fill the now empty collar?

This was not the first time that had happened that day at that shelter.  When Caroline arrived, the ACO was in tears because they had just had to put down two dogs the owner just surrendered.  The dogs didn’t even have a chance.  Owner surrenders can be immediately killed, there is no waiting or hold time on them.  If a shelter is full, when the owner signs that surrender form, they are signing a death warrant!

This happens every day at shelters all over country, hundreds and thousands of times.

In Caroline’s post below, she doesn’t tell the story of the who dumped the dog and waited for it to be killed so she could get it’s collar, she does talk about other things though then shares a couple of pictures of reality.  It hurts, it really hurts! This is what people who dump their dogs don’t see.  Maybe if you help by sharing this, we can show them and they will think twice.

So Just What Did You Think Would Happen to Spot if You Dropped Him Off at the Local Shelter?

First let me start by saying this bulletin contains graphic images. The reason I chose to post these photos are multi faceted. First I want to clear up any illusions that owners in southwest Va have that their precious dog “spot” will surely find a home the reality is that spot has less than a 10% chance of getting out of the shelter alive. Despite saving 204 dogs in 2008 our county shelter still had a 90% + euth rate. To say say 20 dogs euthanized does not have the same effect as acutaly seeing it, being there. My only regret is that many of the folks I reach with this post already know what I am saying. I am preaching to the choir but for those that dont know, are not aware, heres your wake up call.

I chose today to post this after walking into a shelter to find one of the ACOs in tears. In tears because two dogs that were just owner surrendered never even made it to the kennel area they were immediately taken to the euth room and euthanized as there literally was not a single solitary empty kennel to put them in. I post this for her, for all the people who say they couldn’t do her job, for all the people who hate animal control this is a friendly reminder that you are the reason they are needed. For those of you who say animals wouldn’t die if it where not for AC. I ask would it be better for them to die of starvation, be hit by a car only to languish in a ditch for days unless death is a welcome relief? There is one person and ONE person only to blame and that is the OWNER.

I also post this for myself. For all the folks who think we try to raise funds too often, for all the folks that expect us to be cheerful as they surrender their pets, for all the folks who roll their eyes when us rescues give lecture on spay and neutering, on behavioral modification to correct behaviors that drove the owner to bring the animal to the shelter in the first place. For my extended family and friends who don’t understand why we are constantly stressed but also driven.

I post this for every owner that gets a dog without ever having researched the breed. They have no idea as to the dogs size, energy level or grooming needs. A little research and you would have known that a border collie would not be a good fit in your one bedroom apartment.

I post this for every rescue out there begging for help that falls, many times, on deaf ears.

Many if not most times they are the only thing standing between the animals and death.

Most time when a plea is cirrcullated about an animal in need many folks are generous with their funds, time and home a great number are saved but a great number are also lost and that is a side many dont see. More than anything this post is for them, in memory of them.

clueless

euth

Shared with the permission of Saving Furry Friends. Thank you Caroline for sharing this with me and allowing my to share it with everyone.  It’s heartbreaking but it is reality!

Be Sociable, Share!
Email This Post Email This Post

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!