Things Our Dogs Teach Us About Love
Our dogs love totally, completely and unconditionally. Not only that, there are many lesson we can learn from our wonderful canine companions, about love and about life. Here’s just a few…
- Love comes with responsibility. Love takes time and effort. When someone loves you and counts on you, you have to be there to do your part. Sometimes this means putting their needs ahead of your own.
- Play is important. Love is fun. Love is great. Sure, there’s responsibility, but part of that responsibility is to play, play, play and enjoy each other’s company.
- Poop happens. Yep, sometimes some not-very-sweet stuff ends up where you wish it hadn’t, but that’s okay. It’s just part of the whole package. Clean it up and get back to the good stuff. Learn to forgive and forget.
- Don’t take love for granted. Surprises and little gifts for no reason other than to show love are good.
- It’s important to spend time together. You don’t always have to be doing something special.
- Sometimes it’s just really nice to sit in the same room and do nothing together. There can be a lot of comfort in that.
- Accept each other. Neither of you are perfect. Take the good with the bad, the odd with the commonplace. Love is bigger than the small stuff that gets under your skin.
- Trust and honor love. Don’t ever, ever abuse it. Love is the greatest gift you’ll ever have, and it’s downright criminal to ever do anything wrong or cruel in the name of love.
- Respect each other’s boundaries. You both need your own space. You both have your own needs. Neither of you should try to dominate the other.
- Good relationships take work. Once you take on the responsibility of a relationship, you have to be willing to work at it. Sometimes there’s nothing you’d like to do more than kick back and take it easy, but you’ve committed to (for example) going on a walk. Get up and go. It’s be well worth the effort.
- Non-verbal communication can speak louder than words.
- Touch, hug, smile, speak softly.
- Separations are tough… but reunions are sweet.
- Everyone wants and needs love.
- Deal with problems when they come up.
- They won’t just go away, and problems sure can make love tough.
- Sloppy kisses are great. (Enough said about that one.)
Do you have any love or life lessons to share that you learned from your dog?
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!