Back Menu

For the Love of the Dog

Winter Weather Hazards – Rock Salt & Antifreeze Can Kill Pets!

Friends, it’s getting on to that time of the year in many part, cold, freezing weather and snow. And to combat the snow and ice many localities spread rock salt. That’s all well and good for safety travel, driving and walking but not so good for our furbabies.  Antifreeze is also another winter weather precaution.

When walking they can easily pick it up on their paws and then lick their paw or coat. Consuming rock salt can cause dehydration, liver failure and pancreatitis.

Symptoms of consuming rock salt – which contains the same ingredient as table salt, sodium chloride, but also has harmful chemicals such as magnesium – include burns to the mouth and throat and excessive salivating and drinking.

Another cold weather danger is anti-freeze. Although some manufacturers are making it “pet-friendly”, but regular anti-freeze contains Ethylene glycol as the main ingredient in almost all major antifreeze brands. It has an inviting aroma, a sweet flavor. Its appealing smell and taste often tempt animals and children to drink the highly poisonous substance.

It only takes a few tablespoons of highly toxic antifreeze to seriously jeopardize an animal’s life.

The symptoms of ingesting anti-freeze include vomiting, seizures, appearing sleepy and a heightened breathing rate.

For safety, be sure to wipe pet’s paws after a walk when there’s a chance of salt and keep away from any area there may be antifreeze.  You should contact a vet immediately if you suspect that you pet may have been in contact with these substances or if you see any warning signs or symptoms.

‘The sooner they are treated, the better their chances of surviving.

Be Sociable, Share!
%d bloggers like this: