Turkey-Day Advice for Your Pooches
Ah yes, Thanksgiving, turkey and stuffing, mashed potatoes and gravy, yummy! I know Jezzie and Bruti will be at hand and underfoot during the preparation and cooking, and of course the eating, just waiting for those inevitable clumsy moments so they can scoop up any dropped goodies.
Well, I’ve got some tips from the ASPCA on the good, the bad and the don’t let them have, so you can keep your pooch safe during this family and festive day.
Friends, family and feasts—the main ingredients for holiday fun can actually result in distress for pets. Not only can too many table scraps set furry tummies a-rumble, but many animals get anxious at the change in household routine. Says the ASPCA’s Dr. Steven Hansen, Senior Vice President, Animal Health Services, which includes the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center in Urbana, IL, “As you begin to prepare for a festive season, remember to be wary of activities that can be potentially dangerous to pets.”
The following safety tips will help to ensure a safe and fulfilling Thanksgiving for you and your pets:
Talkin’ Turkey: Giving your pets a little nibble of turkey is okay, just be sure that it’s boneless and fully cooked. Raw or undercooked turkey may contain salmonella bacteria, and dogs can choke on bones, which splinter easily.
A Feast Fit for a Kong: While the humans are chowing down, give your cat and dog their own little feast. Stuff their usual dinner—with a few added bits of turkey, dribbles of gravy or vegetables like sweet potato and green beans—inside a Kong toy. They’ll be happily occupied trying to get their meal out, and way too busy to come begging for table scraps.
Sage Advice: This peppery herb makes stuffing taste delish, but sage also contains essential oils and resins that can cause pets to suffer stomach upset and possible depression of the central nervous system.
Battery Power: The holiday season means lots of cameras, radios and other battery-operated electronics. Please don’t leave batteries lying around. If swallowed, they can cause choking or obstruction; if punctured, the chemicals in alkaline batteries can cause burns to the mouth and esophagus.
So enjoy, have fun and make sure the whole family, including the furry four-leggers are safe, sound, happy and healthy!
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!