Congo, The German Shepherd May Die Tomorrow – UPDATES & PETITION
PLEASE SEE ANY UPDATES ON CONGO BELOW AND SIGN THE PETITION!
UPDATE 11/15 – Congo Released to the James – But the Fight is NOT Over – read the full story below!
I posted this story a couple of days ago and it has gotten alot of attention. Congo, the German shepherd who was protecting his owner, Elizabeth James when he felt she was being attacked has been judged vicious and ordered to be killed!
I just got this email and the news is not good.
HEARTBREAKING!!! PLEASE READ BELOW AND FORWARD TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW:
Sent: Monday, November 12, 2007 5:20 PM
Subject: URGENT!!!! Congo Lost in Court – PLS CALL NJ GOV CORZINE TO OVERRIDE !!
** PLEASE CROSSPOST & FORWARD **
CONGO THE GSD lost his court case today. Judge upheld the death sentence.
EVERYONE PLEASE WRITE & CALL
Urge him to OVERRIDE CONGO’s DEATH SENTENCE
Gov.’s office is taking a numerical tally on how many people call – please call him
Office of the Governor PO Box 001
email by going to his site: http://www.nj.gov/governor/govmail.html
(Choose “Law & Public Safety” on Drop-down list and on the next page, choose “Pardons & Clemency”)
NEW JERSEY RESIDENTS ESPECIALLY NEEDED!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!
and PA residents also especially helpful… but EVERY CALL FROM ANYWHERE COUNTS!!
PLEASE EMAIL AND CALL… DO NOT LET CONGO DIE!!!
For those not familiar with Congo’s case:
- Two landscapers/gardeners, illegal immigrants, were working at the family’s house
- They arrived an hour early
- They were told by the husband to stay in their truck until he could get out of the shower and get some clothes on and put the dogs away
- The husband speaks Spanish and spoke to them in Spanish so there is no question they understand what they were told to do
- They directly disobeyed the husband and walked into the yard where the wife had just pulled into the driveway
- The two adult German Shepherds and their puppies came running
- The gardeners panicked
- ONE GARDENER GRABBED THE WIFE AND WRESTLED HER TO THE GROUND, USING HER AS A PROTECTIVE SHIELD
- Congo thought his owner was being attacked and went after the gardener
- The gardener used his rake to beat at the puppies and inflicted some injuries on them
- The gardener changed his story three times (interesting note on official bias: when the owner said the gardener changed his story five times, the dog warden said “No, he only changed his story 3 times.”)
Additional Contact Info if you’re having a hard time getting through
Office of the Governor
South Jersey Office
Office of the Governor
PO Box 001
Trenton, NJ 08625
PLEASE call. They really ARE monitoring calls. If you know of your local ordinances pertaining to bites on private property, or bites involving protection of property, PLEASE LET THEM KNOW!!!! When they were informed them of Florida law, they just said “UH OH” and that they didn’t know about that type of law. If an animal in Florida bites a person on private property, or in the course of protecting life or property, the owner is absolved of responsibility for the action since it was not a direct result of the owners irresponsibility.
CHECK YOUR LOCAL LAWS AND SEE IF YOURS ARE SIMILAR!!!!!!!!
If you have contacts with Animal Control Officers, or Law Enforcement K9 handlers, please have them call!!!!
Please, get the word out and do whatever you can!!
UPDATES on Congo
11/13/08 – Congo’s death sentence still stands (see news to note below). Gov. Corzine has not announce anything yet but more likely after his PBS interview this Thursday. Here are some more action updates for Congo in case anyone missed it.
FOR THOSE IN THE US– KEEP CALLING TH E GOVERNOR. THEY’RE NOT ASKING QUESTIONS, JUST MAKING TALLY. PLEASE CALL THE GOV’S OFFICE:
(609) 292-6000 (office hours: 8am-6pm Eastern time)
Here’s what you can say: “Hi, I’m calling to ask the Governor to override Congo’s death sentence. He should NOT be killed.” The operator will then thank you and tell you that they’re just taking a tally and will count your support for Congo. If nothing happens today, keep calling tomorrow please.
* Please Sign the Petition to Save Congo!
* GOV. CORZINE’S Q&A RE CONGO ON PBS (please send comments):
LIVE !!! GOVERNOR CORZINE WILL HAVE A CALL-IN /EMAIL QUESTION AND ANSWER SESSION THURSDAY NOVEMBER 15, 2007 8 PM PBS CHANNEL 13 NYC/NJ AREA PLEASE GO TO http://www.nj.com/mailforms/askcorzine/ TO ASK HIM TO INTERVENE ON BEHALF OF ALL NJ PROPERTY OWNERS TO HAVE THE RIGHT TO PROTECT THEIR RIGHTS, TO SAFEGUARD THEIR HOMES & FAMILIES &TO SAVE CONGO’S LIFE FOR DOING JUST THAT FOR HIS OWNER & HIS FAMILY.
* The Gov.’s office is taking a numerical tally on ho w many people call – please call him at (609) 292-6000, email by going to his site: http://www.nj.gov/governor/govmail.html Choose “Law & Public Safety” on Drop-down list and on the next page, choose “Pardons & Clemency”
UPDATE – 11/15/07
This came from one of our commenters – Thanks Mike!
As per Casey Bartholomew of the Casey and Rossi Show on NJ 101.5, Congo is going to be able to go home to his family, albeit only temporary. The poor thing was slowly dying from stress and depression, so at least that’s a step in the right direction. I hope it’s the start of many positive steps.
Please keep on calling and emailing and faxing! Keep the pressure on and let them know that we are all watching and waiting for the right thing to be done, for Congo to be home with his family… permanently!
From today’s, 11/15, Central Jersey News
Judge’s order will allow Congo to go home
A Superior Court judge signed a consent order to free Congo the German shepherd Thursday afternoon, meaning that the Princeton Township dog, which was declared vicious and condemned to death by a lower court judge on Tuesday for biting and scratching a landscaper, is expected to be released to his owners’ custody while his case continues to be appealed.
Congo has been held at the SAVE — A Friend to Homeless Animals shelter in the township.
The consent order includes several conditions, chief among them that Congo must wear a muzzle whenever he is outside his owners’ Stuart Road West house. Also, Congo is not allowed to leave the property of his owners, Guy and Elizabeth James, without prior approval of the township’s animal control officer.
Guy James said that he and his family are thrilled with the order.
We “are so ecstatic,” James said. “If you want something badly enough, you go get it. On Tuesday, we shed tears of sorrow and today we’re shedding tears of joy.”
He thanked all his supporters who sent messages from around the world and said the fight to clear Congo’s name and have his death sentence reversed is not over.
The Jameses contend Congo should not have been deemed vicious and sentenced to die because he was clearly, but inadvertently, provoked by landscaper Giovanni Rivera in the June 5 incident on the James’s 10-acre fenced-in property.
Municipal Court Judge Russell Annich Jr. had ruled that Congo’s attack was unprovoked.
WOOHOOO!!!!!!! What fantastic news!!!! But remember, as Guy James said, the fight is NOT over!!
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!