As a group of schoolchildren from PS 53 in Queens watched, Pritesh Patel, 27, of Richmond Hill, took a piece of rebar and brutally beat his neighbor’s dog, a 10 yr old pit bull mix, Myrna, belonging to 87 yr old George Mack.

This vicious attack, which broke two of Myrna’s legs so severely that she had to undergo surgery to insert a metal plate and screws into her right leg, occurred on October 26. Pritesh Patel and George Mack, both live in the same building on 127th Street.

On that eventful morning, Patel was taking his Boston terrier, Tyson for a walk in a lot at 127th Street and Jamaica Avenue while Mack was walking Myrna. The dogs did not get along, barking and growling at one another.

One report says they fought, another says there were no marks or bites on either dog.

Patel took Tyson home and returned with a piece of rebar – a type of metal rod used in construction, Pentangelo said. He repeatedly struck Myrna with the rod while Mack and students on their way to class at PS 53 watched, Pentangelo said.

“I’m going to kill that –!” Patel yelled as he confronted Myrna, witnesses said.

Mack took Myrna to the ASPCA, where her legs were set in splints. But the injuries were severe enough to require yesterday’s surgery.

Patel, who was arrested Monday night outside his building, confessed to the attack, telling ASPCA agents he “wanted to paralyze” Myrna, Pentangelo said. He also said he attacked Myrna because the two dogs were fighting, Pentangelo said. Neither dog had bite or scratch marks, he said.

“This was a painful beating that Myrna sustained,” Pentangelo said. “She’s obviously a cherished pet, and it’s satisfying that the suspect will be brought to justice.” (Newsday)

Patel claims he was only trying to save his own dog, “I feel bad for the other dog, but I had to do it.”

But witnesses tell another story.

“The dog was down on the ground bleeding, then [Patel] ran upstairs with his dog and returned a few minutes later without the dog but with a metal pipe,” a witness said. “He started striking the dog. I heard him say, ‘I don’t want to kill the dog, I just want to paralyze him.'”

Patel, 27, was arraigned yesterday in Queens Criminal Court and charged with felony animal cruelty, criminal possession of a weapon and endangering the welfare of a child, said Joseph Pentangelo, assistant director of the ASPCA’s Humane Law Enforcement Division.

Patel, who was released on his own recognizance, is due back in court Nov. 21. He faces up to four years in prison if convicted.

Myrna was taken to an ASPCA hospital on 92nd St. on the upper East Side. The dog had two broken legs and head injuries. A metal plate secured by seven screws was used by orthopedic surgeons to repair one of the dog’s broken legs.

“The veterinarians were optimistic and satisfied with the outcome of the surgery,” Pentangelo said. (NY Daily News)

Be Sociable, Share!
Email This Post Email This Post

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!