Pazzazz Pet Boarding in Pennsylvania’s Pocono Mountains went up in flames Friday after a spark or static electricity ignited the propane as the deliveryman, Timothy Kleinhagen, was filling the tank. Flames shot 75 foot in the air and set the kennels on fire.

The kennel boarded and bred show dogs and since Friday, 17 dogs have died. Kleinhagen, who is hospitalized in critical condition, is being hailed as a hero. Although badly injured, he still managed to rescue at least one of the dogs from the blaze. Thirteen dogs survived the blast and are expected to recover.  Three still remain under care at Creature Comforts in Saylorsburg

One of the dogs that did not survive was Martha Stewart’s 5-month-old chow puppy, Genghis Kahn.

“I am deeply saddened by this story. My heart goes out to [Pazzazz owner] Karen Tracy and I am hoping for a speedy recovery for those (both pets and humans) injured in this terrible event,” Stewart wrote on her blog alongside a pictorial tribute to her late pet.

Kennel owner, Jean Ahner and her daughter, Karen Tracy, have been overwhelmed by the support and concern that people have shown.

”You don’t think people care too much about you until something like this happens,” Ahner said.

Along with some monetary donations, they have also received food, bowls, leashes and other items they will be able to use when they rebuild their kennel which Ahner says she is determine to do although her first concern right now is the dogs.

A truly heartbreaking story! Rest in peace pups and my thoughts and prayers to those injured in the explosion.

Be Sociable, Share!
Email This Post Email This Post

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!