Take Your Dog to Work Day – June 20th
Take Your Dog to Work Day® (TYDTWD) was first celebrated in 1999 by Pet Sitters International to celebrate the great companions dogs. This annual event encourages employers to experience the value of pets in the workplace, even if just for one day! Ultimately, it’s about encouraging pet adoptions from shelters, humane societies and rescue groups.
Statistics show that 1 in 5 American companies allow employees to bring their pets to work with them to the mutual benefit of company and employee. This trend has shown increased moral, decreased absenteeism, increased employee moral and productivity, a higher level of creativity and even increased sales. We know that pets are beneficial to the health in a number of ways; lower blood pressure, lower heart rate, decreased stress level, just to name a few, so who loses here. Looks like a win-win situation.
Of course this is not feasible for everyone everywhere but how wonderful for those that can. Are you one of the lucky ones? Can you take your dog to work with you on a daily basis or at least on TYDTWD?
What can you do if TYTWD is a no-go where you work? How about taking a picture of your dog to work with you. Ask if your company will sponsor an after-hours employee-pet event.
“Take Your dog to Work Day” can also be great PR for a company! Announce it to the local media. Charge a small donation for employees to bring their dogs and donate it all to the local animal shelter or humane society. Take pictures of the employees and pets and post them on the company website.
If your company plans on doing TYDTWD, take a moments to register with Pet Sitters International, PSI and learn about licensing and sponsorship opportunities. You can also win some great prizes.
Download the TYDTWD Guide, filled with information FAQs, helpful hints and more! TYDTWD Guide – Just right-click and save to your computer
Top 10 Things to Say to Convince Your Boss to Take Part in TYDTWD
10. The squirrels in the neighborhood deserve a break.
9. Wagging tails work great when the a/c is on the fritz.
8. With a dog as your passenger, you’ll be able to use the car pool lane.
7. It’s a great way to lick the work day blahs!
6. My dog thinks you’re grrrrrrreat!
5. Meetings end as soon as Rover starts staring at the conference room door.
4. You can blame those missing reports on one of your employees’ dogs.
3. It’s the leash you can do.
2. Finally, someone at your office will actually be working like a dog.
AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON TO TAKE YOUR DOG TO WORK…
1. Friday, June 20, is Take Your Dog To Work Day®!
Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!